A little known bicycle website in England recently announced a “Top 10” list for mountain bike trails in the US. I think they picked some pretty good trails from well known mountain bike hot spot cities like Moab, Bozeman, and Crested Butte. I was pleasantly surprised to see Downieville included.
The trail picked in the “Top 10” list is Downieville’s Big Boulder Trail. This 20 mile trail with 5,000 feet of downhill is used in the popular Downieville Downhill race. This trail is known for flying downhill and rollercoaster sections mixed with technical areas. This is a one-way trail from Packer Saddle Road (USFS 93) to Downieville.
Downieville is 59 miles North of Truckee up Hwy.89 and off Hwy.49. Downieville is a mountain bike mecca with numerous trails, great weather, trail shuttles, and an affable small town. Each year in August, Downieville holds the Downieville Classic Mountain Bike Race and Festival. This year’s event is August 1-5, 2012.
Top 10 US trail list:
1. Slickrock - Moab, Utah
2. Tsali Trails – Bryson City, North Carolina
3. Monarch Crest – Salida, Colorado
4. The Big Boulder Trail – Downieville, California
5. Maah Daah Hey Trail – North Dakota
6. Gauley Headwaters – Slatyfork, West Virginia
7. Copper Harbor Trails – Copper Harbor, Michigan
8. Buffalo Creek – Pine, Colorado
9. Bangtal Divide Trail – Bozeman, Montana
10. Trail 401 – Crested Butte, Colorado
Downieville Classic website: http://www.downievilleclassic.com/index.html
Dowieville trail website: http://www.mtbsingletrack.com/